Make it a Green Valentine’s Day
Celebrate the holiday of love by showing some love for the earth. From organic flowers and chocolates to romantic evenings at home, here’s how you can have a green Valentine’s Day.
- Cook a meal at home.Not only will cooking at home save money, but you’ll have more control over the quality of your food. Substitute organic produce, naturally raised meat and local ingredients. For a romantic meal, try one of these recipes.
- Drink organic wine.No romantic celebration is complete without wine. This year splurge a little and get a bottle of organic wine. Organic wine doesn’t cost that much more. Look for local made ones, meaning your wine won’t have to travel as far to get to you.
- Buy handmade, natural gifts.If you’re not the crafty type, buy your significant other a gift that gives back. Handmade gifts support local small businesses, and they come with a personal touch.
- Wear green lingerie.Just because (almost) no one will see it doesn’t mean you should ignore your intimates! Underwear and lingerie come in a variety of eco-friendly fabrics these days, including organic cotton, organic silk and hemp.
- Get local, organic flowers.Conventional flowers harbor pesticide residue, and many of them are imported from South America. If flowers are part of your Valentine’s Day routine, buy organic flowers from a local florist. Fresher is better!
- Take a green, romantic weekend.With Valentine’s Day on a Sunday, this year might be the perfect opportunity to make a romantic weekend out of it. Get away to a local bed & breakfast, or check into a green hotelin your area. Want to save money on a romantic weekend? Take a staycation. Set aside the weekend for romantic pursuits: bubble baths, watching movies, cooking or whatever you like to do together.