Healthy easter treats you can make with your kids
Chocolate eggs, sugar coated almonds, chocolate milk bunnies…Easter sweet treats are back and we’ve got plenty of ideas to help you stay healthy while satisfying your sweet tooth cravings; these treats are both nourishing and fun to make.
- 3 cups of unsalted hazelnuts
- 100g dairy free dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Roast the unsalted hazelnuts in the oven for about 15/20 minutes, until they are golden and the skins loosen.
- Allow them to cool before removing the skins.
- Blend them to a paste then mix in the melted dairy free dark chocolate.
- Add the vanilla extract and sea salt.
- Blend once more and dependent on taste, add extra sweetener a drop of maple syrup.
Healthy carrot cupcakes
- 225g of grated carrots
- 2 orange’s zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 55g of crushed nuts
- 55gr of raisins
- 150gr self-rising flour
- 1 coffee spoon of cinnamon
- 1 coffee spoon of powder ginger
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 115gr cream cheese
- 1 lemon zest and tablespoon of juice
- 1 cup of powder sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- In a bowl, let your kids mix the olive oil, brown sugar, nuts, raisins, carrots, spices and half the orange zest.
- Add the flour, eggs and vanilla extract then mix it all into a smooth batter.
- Divide into 12 baking cups and place in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes.
- For a healthy topping, decorate the cupcakes with the remaining orange zest. For an extra treat, add the remaining ingredients, lemon zest, and mix into an even creamier batter and smooth over the top.
Cinnamon roasted almonds
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 egg white
- 1-tablespoon powder cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon powder nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 1-teaspoon of cold water
- Preheat the oven.
- Mix the egg white and water until frothy in a deep mixing bowl.
- Add the almonds and stir.
- Sprinkle in the nutmeg, salt and cinnamon.
- With the help of your kids stir until all the almonds are well coated and spread them in a baking sheet.
- Bake for one hour stirring every 20 minutes.