Make your own incredibly Mason Jars Candles
We often come across small websites whose ideas we really love to share and this article from Ms. Dawn’s DIY Homesteader website is a good one with tons of great projects, mostly done on the cheap.
These mason jar candles have incredible aromas and are easy and inexpensive to make for decoration, for gifts, and as emergency candles. These candles are beautiful and unique and since they can be customized, they make for excellent gifts for friends and loved ones. They are easy and inexpensive to make, and they’re handy as emergency candles. All you need are a few household items and a few items from the hardware store and these can be made in no time at all!
This is what you will need for each jar you will want to make:
- 1/8 Nipple- Yes, they are called that and you can find them in the lighting section at places like Gamma with all the spare lighting parts.
- You need Lamp Wicks 100% Cotton you find these in craft stores or make your own out of Recycled T-shirt 100% cotton. Cut it into strips about 2 inches wide. If it gets too thin the wick will burn fast
- Olive oil, canola oil,or any other vegetable oil
- Mason Glass jar
How it works?
The oil is drawn up the wick where it vaporizes and gets burned by the flame. A few ounces of oil will burn for several hours, so its much cheaper than most candles!
You can infuse your oil with herbs, spices or essential oils (like Orange, Lemon, Vanilla)
- Make a dot where you want the hole to go in the lid
2. Use a drill to make the hole.
3. Put the nipple through the hole. On both sides of the lid, add a washer and then coupling.
4. After this is attached, twist your strip of T-shirt and thread it through the nipple, it will expend a little after it is soaked in oil.
5. Add oil and attach the lid to the jar
6. Wait for the oil to be soaked and then light your beautiful candle!