This quinoa Mac ‘n Cheese is a protein packed alternative to Mac N’ Cheese, and well…Delicious!
There is no reason we can’t have it all…
Quinoa is SO good for you. WHY? Well, Quinoa packs a powerful nutritional punch and is just so versatile. It has protein and fiber to keep you satisfied, improves your overall health, and Quinoa contains ALL the amino acids as well. Remember, too, that it is actually a seed and not a grain. 😉
- 2 T. coconut butter, divided
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh greens ( kale, or spinach), finely shredded
- 1 t. garlic, minced
- 2 cups dry quinoa (preferably sprouted) thoroughly rinsed with cold water
- 4 cups veg broth (or water)
- 2 cups cheese, shredded (we used cheddar)- or tofu for the vegan version
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup unsweet Almonds or soy
milk (to desired texture)
- In a medium stock pot melt 1 T. butter over medium heat. Add carrot, broccoli, greens and garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add quinoa and veg broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10-15 until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in remaining coconut butter, tofu/cheese, and the almonds/soy milk to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.