This quinoa Mac ‘n Cheese is a protein packed alternative to Mac N’ Cheese, and well…Delicious!
- 2 T. coconut butter, divided
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh greens ( kale, or spinach), finely shredded
- 1 t. garlic, minced
- 2 cups dry quinoa (preferably sprouted) thoroughly rinsed with cold water
- 4 cups veg broth (or water)
- 2 cups cheese, shredded (we used cheddar)- or tofu for the vegan version
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup unsweet Almonds or soy
milk (to desired texture)
- In a medium stock pot melt 1 T. butter over medium heat. Add carrot, broccoli, greens and garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add quinoa and veg broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10-15 until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in remaining coconut butter, tofu/cheese, and the almonds/soy milk to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.