This warrior green smoothie is your winter preparation friend!
Smoothies continue to be such an important daily aspect of my diet. In 10 minutes, I can have a smoothie in hand that would just about rival the most nutritious meal around. I’ve been drinking this smoothie as a way to pack in a ton of nutrition with minimal effort.
Green warrior benefits:
Kale – Rich in folate, vitamin C and K, calcium, iron, and beta-carotene. It’s also a hormone balancer, digestion booster, anti-inflammatory, and contains omega-3 fatty acids.
Grapefruit – Rich in vitamin C and is a great detoxifier for the liver.
Cucumber – Prevents water retention, promotes a healthy digestive track, packed with bioavailable minerals, vitamins, and electrolytes.
Celery – Rich in fibre and B vitamins, prevents water retention
Apple – Source of fibre and vitamin C, helps balance blood sugar levels, boosts digestion, reduces inflammation
Algae oil (DHA rich) – A sustainable, plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids. Making up 97% of the fatty acids found in the brain, DHA is a very important long-chain fatty acid in the omega-3 family. It’s super important for pregnant women and children under the age of 2 as it supports brain, vision, and nerve development. Note: I don’t add this oil directly into the smoothie. I simply take it seperately so it doesn’t impact the flavour.
Virgin Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. It’s rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which help boost the metabolism and lower the risk of heart disease.
Hulled hemp seeds – A great source of complete protein, contains the ideal balance of omega 3-6-9 fatty acids, and is high in fibre. Hemp seeds also reduce inflammation in the body and balance hormones.
Mango – Rich in vitamin C, fibre, and beta-carotene. It also contains enzymes that help with the breakdown of protein in the body (great for the above protein-rich hemp seeds!).
- 1/2 cup fresh red grapefruit juice
- 1 cup dinosaur/lacinato kale
- 1 large sweet apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- heaping 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 med. stalk)
- 3-4 tablespoons hemp hearts (I use 4 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup frozen mango
- 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (optional)
- 3-4 ice cubes, as needed
- 1/2-1 tablespoon algae oil (do not add to smoothie – take separately), optional
- Juice half of a large red grapefruit and add 1/2 cup grapefruit juice to the blender.
- Now add the kale, apple, cucumber, celery, hulled hemp seeds, mango, mint, coconut oil, and ice. Blend on high until super smooth. (If using a Vitamix, use the tamper stick to push it down until it blends). You can add a bit of water if necessary to get it blending.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately! This makes enough for a large glass with some leftover so you can also divide it into two servings.
- If using, take the algae DHA oil separately. I don’t add it to the smoothie because it impacts the overall flavors