Make your own vapor rub and healing salve
During the winter months, runny/stuffy noses and colds are inevitable. Not being able to breath and having a raw, irritated nose is miserable. Vapor rub not only helps to decongest it also helps to heal the skin around the nose at lightening speed! In addition to the salve being healing and soothing, it is also great for killing bacteria.
Because store bought Vapor Rub contains harmful ingredients such as petroleum, you can feel good about using this salve as often as needed. It is extremely nourishing and quenching to the skin.
Its great for wounds as well as dry skin. I always keep it on hand for my go-to lip balm. It is a double duty salve because it kills bacteria and heals damaged skin! This salve, does not contain petroleum or other harmful ingredients. The essential oils are antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungal as is coconut oil.
Salves are very easy to make and once you get the hang of it the possibilities for variations are endless! Because salves contain no water, preservatives are not necessary and they last for around 6 months.
DIY Healing Salve
DIY Vapor Rub
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 heaping TBSP. Beeswax (or soy wax as a vegan option)
- 30 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 15 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- dd coconut oil, olive oil and beeswax/soywax to a glass measuring cup.
- Fill a medium sized pot half way full with water and place on the stove.
- Turn stove top to medium and place measuring cup in the pot.
- Allow the beeswax to thoroughly melt.
- Once melted, remove from the stove top and add essential oils.
- Pour into glass jars or tins and allow to cool.
oth salves are extremely healing. You can use them anywhere you have broken, irritated skin. The healing salve is great for burns, scrapes, bug bites and even dry skin. The vapor rub can be used directly on the nose to heal raw, sore skin. Not only will it soothe the nose, the essential oils will help relieve congestion.