It’s getting colder, which means that the air is becoming more dry. Naturally, all of this dry air, combined with wearing extra layers, often leaves skin feeling dry and itchy. And that is why I make this homemade oatmeal bath soak.
Oatmeal is made of fats and sugars (polysaccharides) that re-hydrate skin and create a gelatinous film barrier of protection.
Lavender is also well known as a soother for dry, itchy, and irritated skin. I chose to add lavender essential oil and a few lavender flowers . The smell of the two together just can’t be beat! However, the lavender flowers are totally optional as the lavender essential oil can achieve a wonderful scent on its own.
Homemade Oatmeal Bath Soak with Lavender
Ingredients & Supplies
- 1 cup rolled oats – quick oats will also work
- 6 drops lavender essential oil (find more about Lavebder here)
- a few lavender flowers, optional
- medium sized bowl and spoon
- large sock or muslin bag
- In a medium sized bowl, combine oats and optional lavender flowers. Stir well.
- Add essential oil. Stir well.
- Using a large spoon, add oatmeal bath to the sock or muslin bag.
- Secure the top of your sock with a knot or a rubber band, or tie your muslin bag tightly.
- Don’t have a sock or muslin bag? Try using a coffee filter, secured with a rubber band.
- Draw yourself a HOT bath and place the sock or bag in the tub. The heat will help to activate the oats.
- Let the bath cool until it is safe enough to enjoy.
- Soak as long as you like and repeat if necessary.
This bath soak also makes wonderful gifts! Simply package in a mason jar with a few sprigs of lavender and you’ll give the gift of relaxation to your loved one