Healthy 2-Ingredient Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
Let’s talk about Matcha. The popularity of matcha green tea has been growing lately, and I am really excited to share some things that I recently learned about matcha with you!
• Matcha is a finely ground powder made from whole green tea leaves.
• Matcha powder is dissolved in hot water completely, instead of brewing it and removing from the hot water like regular green tea.
• Matcha contains significantly more antioxidants (10 times more!) than regular green tea since you are consuming the whole ground up green tea leaf..
• Matcha should be prepared using water between ~165-175F instead of boiling hot water, so you do not degrade the antioxidants and so that you do not extract the bitterness that can be present in green tea. 1/2 teaspoon of matcha to ~4-6 oz water is a good place to start and you can adjust the amount of water or matcha to your liking.
Matcha green tea ice cream
You’ve heard of banana ice cream before, right? Where you freeze chopped ripe bananas and them blend them in a food processor? It makes for the creamiest most delicious ice cream that tastes a bit like banana, but not overpoweringly so since it is very cold. And obviously, it is as healthy as a frozen treat can possible get.
So if you haven’t tried banana ice cream, I recommend starting with this healthy Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream. Adding matcha powder to this treat will make it even healthier and yummier, and green ice cream is just lots of fun to eat.
• 2 ripe bananas, chopped into 1-inch pieces and frozen
• 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
• Optional: 1/2 – 1 tablespoon agave syrup
1. Remove the bananas from the freezer and let them thaw 5 minutes to soften them. Place the bananas and matcha green tea (and agave, if using) in a blender and process until smooth and creamy. You might need to scrape down the sides with a spoon to get everything to blend. Serve immediately.